Shortcut to navigation Hlavné menu Shortcut to navigation horizontal
Tlmače EN

Demographic development

The Slovak – Hungarian language border has run between Tlmače and Malé Kozmálovce in the last centuries. All sources talk about purely Slovak village and official statistics list only several Hungarians additionally to absolute majority of Slovak nationality.

It's impossible to detect any information about population during early feudalism (11 – 13th century) or the following centuries. The first population censuses in the Slovak history in Hungary embracing all population are of 1715 – 1720. Gross body count is already given in land lists of 16th and 17th centuries. These land lists also contain villeinage settlements and their duties. One of those land lists of the Tekov county states that there were only two villeinage settlements in Tlmače in 1564.

In 1715, there are already 19 villeinage settlements – five of them are said to be Hungarian and fourteen Slovak. These villeins farmed 263 gbels of arable land (gbel – approx. 1,200 square fathoms - 918m2) and owned meadows for 31 cosecants (meadows / cosecant = approx. 800 – 1,200 square fathoms). Data five years later (of 1720) don’t state any data for Tlmače. The village had 238 inhabitants in 1850. The following demographic development: 1896 – 318 inhabitants, 1880 – 358; 1893 – 388; 1900 – 424; 1910 – 487; 1921 – 424; 1930 – 468; 1940 – 533; 1948 – 538; 1960 – 2,244; 1970 – 3,121; 1980 – 4,174; 1991 – 5,466; and as at 30 July 2000 – 4,306.


 

webygroup

Slovenská verzia

29393432

Homepage