From the recent history
Tlmače, as pure agricultural village hasn’t suffered only during the feudal oppression, but also after abolition of villeinage in 1848.
The largest portion of soil belonged to yeoman Bukovič, who lived in house opposite the church.
Based on oral stories, a single-class school was established in Tlmače in 1848. The first school building was constructed in 1884.
In 1848, the plots of the Tlmače region were consolidated.
Tlmače inhabitants saw the first train on 26 October 1896. On this day, railway traffic started on the route Levice – Hronská Dúbrava.
The village witnessed sharp fights between Hungarian Red army and Czechoslovak legionaries in June 1919.
The village library was founded in 1921. In 935 it already had 175 volumes.
The church in village was built in 1926 with costs 100 thousands Czechoslovak crowns.
At the 60th anniversary of the church construction, the parish administrator from Rybník – Dean Jozef Hrčka said that those 60 years ago, the foundation stone was placed on 6 May and the new church was consecrated on 7 November. The church tower was shot down by German soldiers during WWII and re-built in 1968.
Voluntary fireman unity was founded in 1926. In 1932, the first manual double-piston fire pump was purchased in Martin in 1932. The fire squad was then headed by Mr. Ondrej Bandzi.
Matica Slovenská was founded in the village in 1932. Its foundation was initiated by teachers Mrs. Masaryková and Mr. Moško. Teacher Anton Krásny acted as theatre actor.
The first dramatic play played in Tlmače, was “The Inspector”, followed by the play “Pánik”, and then “Hájnikova žena” (Forester’s wife), “Kmotrovci” (Godparents), “Drotár” (Tinker), “Hrob lásky” (Love’s grave), “Kocúrkovo” (Gotham city), etc.
Concrete bridge across the river Hron was put into operation in September 1936. On 1 – 5 September 1936, the new bridge was tested by army maneuvers. Defile of 40 thousand soldiers was attended also by President Dr. E. Beneš.
In elections to self-governing council – municipality council on 12 June 1938, the Hlinka´s Slovak people’s party (HSĽS) won 111 of 306 votes, i.e., 5 mandates, the Republic party 65 votes and 3 mandates to 12-member municipality council.
Occupation of southern Slovakia by Hungarian Horthy´s army was finished on 10 November 1938. Since that day until 25 March 1945, Tlmače was a frontier village. Slovak – Hungarian border ran on Hron between Tlmače and Malé Kozmálovce and then south of the Lipník fields at the forest border.
8 September 1940 – harvest home and ethnographic celebrations of the Tekov region in Zlaté Moravce organized by HSĽS was also attended by 25-member group in national costumes and nice allegoric car (spinners).
The first evening street lights in the village were lit on the first November Saturday 1940. Electrification costs reached 93thous CSK.
Mr. Anton Krásny, who acted as teacher in Roman – Catholic school living in our village since 26 June 1914, died on 27 September 1941 in Tatranská Lomnica.
The village was liberated on 21 December 1944 by the Soviet army – II Ukrainian front.
The local national committee (MNV) was established in 1945. The first chairman was Mr. Karol Kocák.
A new factory started to be constructed in Tlmače in August 1949 and it was named The Levice boiler making factory.
Construction of settlement for the plant employees – Lipník – started in 1950, partially in the old part of the village.